Voter Registration


You can now register to vote in California online! Whohooo, if you need to register or re-register to vote, use the form on the right.

You can also visit:

Registration forms can be found in English, Spanish, Chinese, Hinidi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai and Vietnamese.

Voters must be registered to vote 15 days before the election. Oct 24th is 15 days before the Nov 8th elections this year.

You may register and vote in California if you:

  • Are a citizen of United States – you do not have to be born in the united states to vote, naturalized citizen can vote in US elections);
  • Are at least 18 years of age by the next election – 17 year olds can register in advance to vote if he/she 18th birthday will be on or before the day of the election;
  • Are not in prison, county jail (i.e., not serving a state prison sentence or serving a term of more than one year in jail for a defined low level felony) or on parole for a felony conviction. Ex-felons CAN vote in the state of California as long as they are not on parole. This includes post release, community supervision, or post sentencing probation for a felony. People who are on parole, but it is not a felony conviction can also register to vote.


You may register to vote in elections if you:

  • Are an inmate;
  • Awaiting or on trial for a criminal offense;
  • Serving time for a traffic or misdemeanor offense;
  • Serving time in a local jail as a condition of probation.

People who are found mentally incompetent by a court cannot register to vote.


Did you do any of the following? Reasons to Re-Register to vote:

  • Move to a different address ( usually permanent or semi-permanent)
  • Change name (including if you changed your name because of marriage)
  • Change political party affiliation


Registration Deadline:

Voters must be register to vote 15 days before the election. Oct 22nd is 15 days before the Nov 6th elections this year. It falls on a Sunday, to make sure you are able to vote in the Nov 6th election, make it a point to be registered by Oct 15, 2012.

Registration forms can be found at the county clerks office and most government official offices including the U.S. post office, DMV and public library. Some counties allow you to download the form online, at the following link,

Forms can also be mailed to your home address by calling 800-481-VOTE (24 hours). People can register in person, by going down to the registration office or by mail.

Voting Registration Special Situations:

If you do not have address because of homelessness, you can still register to vote. The federal registration form leaves space for street corners, parks or shelters to use in lieu of a traditional home address.

The best option for a mailing address is to use a shelter that you trust and have access to. Some counties will allow homeless individuals to use their office as a mailing address.

Domestic abuse shelter
If you are in a domestic abuse shelter, contact the staff about what address to use for registering to vote.

California’s Confidential Address Program
If you are in California Confidential Address program, please contact Safe at Home to registers to vote by calling 877-322-5227.

Just Moved
If you have just moved and want to register to vote in your new city, you will need to re-register to vote. This can be done by filling out a registration form. You will need to re-register to vote at least 15 days before the election.

Absentee Voting/ Mail in voting:

If you know in advance that you will not be able to vote in person, are prefer to vote early or at home, you will need to obtain an absentee ballot. Registered voters must apply at least 7 days in advance of an election for a absentee ballot, for this election that date is October 30, 2012. To register for an absentee ballot, use the following website or go to the county clerks office.


Returning Ballot:

Once the application is processed by the county elections official, your ballot will be sent to you. After you have voted, insert your ballot in the envelope provided, making sure you complete all required information on the envelope. You may return your voted vote-by-mail ballot by

1) mailing it to your county elections official;

2) returning it in person to a polling place or the elections office in your county on Election Day; or

3) authorizing a relative or person living in the same household as you to return the ballot on your behalf. Regardless of how the ballot is returned, it MUST be received by the county elections office by the time polls close at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. Late-arriving vote-by-mail ballots will not be counted.

If you decided that you wanted to vote in person instead absentee, you exchange your absentee sample ballot for a voter sheet at your polling place on election day.

Reason to get an absentee/vote by mail ballot:

  • Traveling abroad or out of state during the election;
  • Studying abroad or out of state during the election;
  • To vote early and avoid election day lines;
  • If you can’t spare the time on Nov 6th;
  • Senior citizens who are not mobile;
  • People who have transportation barriers;
  • Hospitalized during the election.

Military and Long Term Overseas Voting:

Under the Federal UOCAVA Act of 1986 Military / Uniformed Service Members and United States citizens living outside the territorial limits of the United States or the District of Columbia for reasons of employment, study programs or military service (including the spouse or dependents of one serving in the military) are eligible to register to vote and request an absentee ballot. In order to vote as a military or overseas voter, you must complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)


Instructions to Special Absentee Voters (Military and Overseas):

STEP 1 – Print the sample ballot (Available approximately 60 days prior to an election).

STEP 2 – Mark/vote the ballot (sample ballot)



  • Fill in bubble next to candidate name(s). Do not vote for more candidates than indicated. This will result in an overvote and your vote for that office will not count.


  • Fill in bubble next to YES or NO.
  • Do not vote both YES and NO. This will result in an overvote and your vote on that measure will not count.

(Write-in votes are valid for qualified candidates only)

  • Write qualified write-in candidate’s office title and name in the blank space provided inside the secrecy sleeve.
  • The total number of votes including write-ins must not exceed the maximum number of votes allowed for the contest or your vote for that contest will not count.

STEP 3 – Return voted ballot (sample ballot)

  • Click here to print the Fax Voted Ballot Form Special Absentee Voter Signature and Oath
  • Complete and sign your name and date on the signature form.
  • Enclose your voted ballot and the signed form in an envelope and mail to: Los Angeles County Registrar- Recorder/County Clerk, Vote By Mail Section, P. O. Box 30960 , Los Angeles 90030-0960

Military and Overseas Absentee Voting Inquiries/Request:

For more information, please contact the Voters Records Division via: or 800-815-2666 or 562-466-1323